Saturday, September 12, 2009

Lettuce, Lavender, and Beef Stew.




Don't worry they're not the ingredients to any new culinary creation from my kitchen.
Just the things I'm enjoying today.

I checked lettuce off my grocery list this morning as I walked out of the Home Depot garden center. Maybe it's not quite what I was supposed to get but my little baby lettuce plants look pretty perfect in their new home next to the beets. I've never attempted lettuce before, so I'll be sure to keep you posted on the adventures that are to come. (Oh how I love my simple life).

And the Lavender happened completely by accident. It wasn't on a list or even on my mind until I walked past it in my new most frequented store (see above). I was on my way to the lettuce when a familiar smell reached me. I then, realizing it must have come from one of the plants near by, proceeded to pick up and smell every plant with in 10 feet. A few employees and a bit of a stuffy nose later I found it. Lavender. And I had.to.have.it. Some women swoon after shoes. Some lust after bags. Give me a few minutes in a garden center, and I'll surely find some pot of dirt and a little green sprout to lust after. What can I say? Maybe it's not glamorous, but it's how I roll okay? So a few 10 minutes of rationalizing that lavender was actually a need (to fill in a void left when I'm not in my Grandparents garden and potentially make some soap) I had my second purchase of the day. And now it sits on my porch waiting for me to find it's perfect home.

And now, the beef stew. Which also wasn't planned. It just so happens to be drizzling, and outside has the appearance of chilly air (of course this is a terrible trick, because once you open the door the blast of humidity takes only a few seconds to hit you). But nonetheless, the beef stew is in the crock pot, the rolls are in the oven, and my day feels as full as it can get.



Hope you're enjoying a Saturday full of unplanned goodness,


which after all seems to be the best kind.

2 comments:

Casey Gentle said...

I had me a few bowls of planned and unplanned goodness today! Hope to bump into you tomorrow at church. If not, sometime soon would be great. I've got a hankerin' for Waffle House!

Jodi said...

Found you too! I knew we were destined to be friends. We have the perfect spot for a garden and I need someone to help me with it. This spring, my friend, this spring.